Our activities and groups are fluid and respond to the interests and concerns of our members.
CFUW-Calgary facilitates both social and intellectual pursuits among members in order to stimulate their interest and participation in public affairs in the political, social, and cultural fields. The club provides an opportunity for collective or individual action through its association with CFUW at the provincial, national and international levels.
CFUW Calgary is an organization of women committed to: Promotion of the pursuit of knowledge and education, Provision of opportunity for fellowship, support and networking, Provision of the opportunity for challenging conversation and intellectual growth, Provision of scholarships to university students.
- Established in 1923 under the name University Women’s Club of Calgary.
- The twentieth group to join the CFUW.
- Encouraged the establishment of a Calgary University and pressed for it’s autonomy
- Participated in the establishment of a model day-care centre; the first in Calgary
- Worked to establish libraries in elementary schools
- Support 6 awards at the University of Calgary contributing $155,413.00 since 1980
3 women have been CFUW Calgary members for 50 years or more
60 members are currently registered
- CFUW Calgary is governed by an Executive of 14 positions
- Standing Committees
Standing committees assist in carrying out the work of the club.
- Archives – Members collect club history, archive it with the Glenbow Museum and periodically conduct research on behalf of the club.
- Oral Histories – This committee has worked to collect oral histories from a few members each year.
- Advocacy and Issues – This committee reviews issues related to education, status of women, human rights, and other areas of interest.
CONNECTIONS: NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL
The Canadian Federation of University Women (CFUW/FCFDU)
is an equality-seeking, national advocacy organization that works to advance the human rights of women and girls in 112 CFUW/FCDU Clubs across Canada. The Canadian Federation of University Women is the largest of the affiliates that belong to Graduate Women International (GWI).
Graduate Women International (GWI) formerly The International Federation of University Women
GWI is an international network linking women graduates from all cultures, all fields of study, all professions and all generations. We have national affiliates in 62 countries and individual members in more than 40 others. Women graduates who believed in the importance of working together for peace, international understanding and friendship founded IFUW in 1919 after World War I.
International Alliance of Women (IAW)
The International Alliance of Women (IAW) is an international NGO comprising 41 member organizations involved in the promotion of women’s human rights, of equality and of the empowerment of women . The IAW has general consultative status at the UN Economic and Social Council and is accredited to many specialized UN agencies, has participatory status with the Council of Europe and is represented at the Arab League, the African Union and other international organizations.
Date: Monday, January 10, 2022
Place: ZOOM (**)
CFUW General Meeting - 'Virtual Cooking Class'
Speaker: **Shaina Nand Website Author, cooking with Shiana**